Tuesday, November 17, 2015

applique wreath

I haven't done any applique for the best part of a year and was having withdrawal symptoms so pulled out a block to prep. This is block number 10 from the Beyond The Cherry Trees quilt. The pieces you can see in the photo are now ready for sewing down onto the background fabric.
I had to think about how to tackle the circular wreath in the middle and decided to use the starch and iron method of preparing the applique pieces.
I cut the paper circle from two thick layers of freezer paper and ironed it to the fabric. I then ironed the outside seam allowance after starching it. After that was done, I cut out the excess fabric from the center and did the same to the inside seam. I'm using a hard pressing board I made from an Ikea lazy susan and thick linen fabric.
 Here you can see I've managed a pretty accurate circle which I've glue basted down.
There's a lot of information regarding the starch and iron method on you tube from Simple Bird Applique (click) if you're interested. It suits me at the moment as the stitching seems to go faster and its not as hard on my weakened right hand. I also like to use the Clover mini iron.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Fussy cutting for Applique

I can't believe this is my first post of the year even though we're well in to February. How time flies but then I've also had a bad start to the year with a few lemons thrown my way. Enough said on that!
I thought I'd show how I've been working slowly on my Baltimore quilt and fussy cutting for leaves. I managed to join two borders onto the top and finish one corner.
Some leaves are made from a tone on tone fabric and don't need to be fussy cut and others are more realistic looking.
I cut out the freezer paper template starting with the dotted line. What you get is the template plus a window template. I use the window template to audition on the fabric. It's then a simple matter of ironing the leaf template inside the window template and removing the window one. you can then mark around the leaf using your favourite fabric marker.
Just recently I thought I'd try the freezer paper and starch method to prep my pieces and it turns out that I rather like it. I even made a pile of leaves to go. It does mean that I have to make my freezer paper templates in reverse and the window template the right side up and use a small light box for correct placement. it sounds complicated but it's really not once you get your head around it.
I even used this method to fussy cut petals for the roses. Fabric choice is harder because there has to be a difference in value where petals meet. I have to say that the stitching goes a lot faster and placement is easy too. I'm also not having any distortion problems with the fabric because of the starch.
I'm going to concentrate on getting this top finished, it's been on the slow burner for years and years. I've had a bad start to the year with not a lot of stitching going on but hopefully I'll be back up to speed soon.
Until next time, Janet

Friday, December 19, 2014

Cultural Fusions book winner

Thank you to everyone that entered the draw to win Sujatas' wonderful book. Thank you also for the lovely comments on the quilt top I made from the book.
Congratulations to Susan from Patchwork and Play who happened to be lucky number 8.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Cross stitch

I have been known to dabble in a little embroidery now and again. I love anything with bees on so this is one that I'll be keeping.
the project is Her Majesty from the booklet By Blackbird designs called Honeybee Hill. I filled it with ground walnuts that has some lavender petals in it so it smells lovely and feels great with the weight in it.
 And for the back, I had some lovely bee fabric of course.
The Q is for Queen bee but it could easily be for Quiltsalott. Loving the small ric-rac finish.
Until next time, Janet